Friday, August 06, 2004

There is a camp...

A camp near home...
You may have heard...
Its Camp Shalom!

There are more cheesy camp song lyrics where that came from! Since I am in Fresno, I decided to stop by my old place of employment, a Jewish Day Camp called Camp Shalom. I know, it is quite an original name. My stepmother is now the director and my stepbrothers are counselors. Its definitely a family adventure. Going to camp was quite nostalgic. In morning circle my brother introduced me as one of the old counselors and pointed out that I was wearing a Camp Shalom shirt from last century....1999. Wow I'm so old. It was unusual to see all these kids that I used to play with who are now much taller and don't remember me. One of my campers just got her driver's license.... my brother is turning 19 next week and going to Humboldt State in two weeks. One of my stepbrothers is going to UCSC in a month. Soon I'll be graduating and getting a job and married and having kids and.....oh my.

I'll part today with some lyrics to one of my favorite camp songs entitled "Wherever you go."

"Wherever you go, there's always someone Jewish.
You're never alone when you say you're a Jew.
So when you're not home and you're somewhere kind of newish,
The odds are don't look far cause there Jewish too."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home